Saturday, May 26, 2007

Paprika


Paprika **1/2

Directed by Satoshi Kon
Written by Seishi Minakami based on the novel by Yasutaka Tsutsui

With the voices of:
Megumi Hayashibara as Paprika/Chiba Atsuko
Tôru Furuya as Tokita Kohsaku
Kôichi Yamadera as Osanai Morio
Katsunosuke Hori as Shima Tora-taroh
Toru Emori as Inui Sei-jiroh
Akio Ôtsuka as Detective Kogawa Toshimi

90 Minutes(Rated R for violent and sexual images. )
--------------------------------------
"Paprika" is just one of those little films that I just cannot put my finger on, and even though I feel really lousy about it I have to give it a rating just below the level of recommendation. I do like the film, but there is a certain level of understanding (mostly lack thereof) that made it impossible to fully enjoy the film, despite the mind blowing animation. "Paprika" still proves that Japanese animators seem to care more about trying new things than the American ones. Even the lamer efforts (like the Tribeca choice "Brave Story") offer something new that I have never seen before. And this is no exception, and may be one of the visually satisfying films I have ever seen. And while the story does reach a high level of originality, I just could not understand what was going on, to the point where I did not want to embrace the visuals only. I wanted to have a key understanding to this complex world these character inhabited, and I wanted to understand every single thing that happened to them.

What I DID understand from "Paprika" is the general plot outline. I knew that there is a machine that was built for shrinks to be able to visit the actual dreams of their patients. And one thing that is common in all of the dreams, especially in the dreams of Detective Kogawa Toshimi, is the image of Paprika, who is the shrink Chiba Atsuko studying every body's dreams. The machine is stolen, however, by a mysterious figure that is present in every ones dreams. The figure begins to destroy the consciousness of people resulting in their deaths. And Dr. Chiba, or Paprika, decides that she has to get it back, especially when every ones dreams begin to mesh into reality unleashing hell everywhere.

My problem with "Paprika" was that it actually tried to have a groundbreaking story as well as amazing visuals. This was not made for the visuals, and should not only be seen for the visuals because there is a really complex little tale going on, which distracts you from only seeing this as eye candy. And there were moments where I just could not accept not knowing what was going on, and this distanced me from the enjoyment. I have accepted similar things in the past but this time I just could not. That being said, the visual candy presented here is an absolute amazement to watch, and that alone makes it somewhat mandatory to see on the big screen. There is such a use of vivid color and amazing detail. There is always something to look at, and it is always unique and original. I have come to expect a high level of expectancy from all anime films, and the fact that this is getting a release from such a high profile art film company is a clear indicator that it is well worth looking for.

And with that I feel ashamed giving "Paprika" the rating I did. I know at heart that I did view something extraordinary and unique and special, and yet I just cannot ever bring myself to watching it again. I do not want to imagine what this is like on a small screen, first of all, and second of all there certainly needed to be a but less complex, as opposed to just throwing a bunch of crazy images on the screen like a dancing kitchen appliance or really large men in a robot costume. I did not understand it, but I really wanted to, which makes "Paprika" a complete mystery. I can't see myself watching it again, but it definitely is something special and unique. So I give it a two and a half with a little bit of nudge because there is no real reason why, especially if your a fan of the strange and bizarre, for you not to see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home