Tuesday, January 22, 2008

2007 Academy Award Nominations Commentary + If I Picked the Winners

The awards anticipation is slowly rising as the nominations for the Academy Awards have been announced. Glossing over the list of nominees there is still no frontrunner in any of the major categories, and even the smaller ones are up for grabs. The favorites at this time are the two neck in neck films according to quality-"There Will Be Blood" and "No Country for Old Men," but movies like "Juno," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "Atonement," and "Michael Clayton" all have their shots as well. Before reading my commentary on the nominations, I will allow you all to be reminded of my Ten Best Movies of the Year list.

Best Actor in a Leading Role

George Clooney-Michael Clayton
Daniel Day-Lewis-There Will Be Blood
Johnny Depp-Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Tommy Lee Jones-In the Valley of Elah
Viggo Mortensen-Eastern Promises

The five choices here are all quite good, but there are two performances that I just think were tragically overlooked in any awards show. Michael Douglas' work in King of California brought an unexpected force of charisma and energy, and John Cusack playing against type in Grace Is Gone went underseen as well. I would have replaced Mortensen and Depp with those two- both of those fine work by the respected actors, but Depp's work in his film is not a stretch for him at all, while Douglas and Cusack brought new spins to their charatcers. I am quite happy with the surprise inclusion of Tommy Lee Jones, whose film was underseen by almost everyone, despite it being made by award favorite Paul Haggis.

If I Picked the Winner-Daniel Day-Lewis
My Prediction for the Winner-Daniel Day-Lewis

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

Casey Affleck-The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Javier Bardem-No Country for Old Men
Phillip Seymour Hoffman-Charlie Wilson's War
Hal Holbrook-Into the Wild
Tom Wilkinson-Michael Clayton

As always, the supporting actor category is packed with worthy choices, and the five that the Academy finally picked are all fine candiates for the winner. I could even name so many other choices that I would have been content with to be nominated- William Hurt in Mr. Brooks, Steve Zahn in Rescue Dawn, and even Paul Dano in There Will Be Blood, who work in the film is close to Daniel Day-Lewis.

If I Picked the Winner-Javier Bardem, although I would be content with Hoffman, Affleck, and Wilkinson
My Prediction for the Winner-Javier Bardem


Best Actress in a Leading Role

Cate Blanchett-Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Julie Christie-Away from Her
Marion Cotillard-La Vie en Rose
Laura Linney-The Savages
Ellen Page-Juno

A rather blase list of nominees, with two spots somewhat wasted in my eyes. Blanchett is good in her film, but nothing award worthy. I forgot that she had even been nominated until I reviewed the nominees a second time. And Marion Cotillard probably has one of the most overrated performances of the year, in one of the more overrated films of the year. I am content with Christie getting the nomination for her film, which was pretty good, and I am happily surprised with the inclusion of Laura Linney. Ellen Page was quite obviously in there, and she has a pretty good shot at winning. Her interpretation of Juno took a script with many odd word phrases and dialogue, and yet she made it perfectly believable. But I would have been very happy with a few others taking the places of Blanchett and Cotillard- mainly Amy Adams in Enchanted, or even Helena Bonham Carter in Sweeney Todd.

If I Picked-Ellen Page
My Prediction-Julie Christie

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Cate Blanchett-I'm Not There
Ruby Dee-American Gangster
Saoirse Ronan-Atonement
Amy Ryan-Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton-Michael Clayton

Blanchett here was quite an obvious pick, as she has been winning every single award under the sun for her saving grace performance in the disappointing I'm Not There. The inclusion of Ruby Dee, whose film I think should be nominated for zero awards, is a classic Oscar nominee- the vet card is being played here to a tee. Saoirse Ronan is getting the nomination comparable to the child performance of 2006, Abaignal Breslin in Little Miss Sunshine, but it isn't as exciting. She was very good in the film, and it is an award nomination worthy performance, but I wouldn't give it the win. Amy Ryan is probably Blanchett's ony competition, with her getting several of the supporting actress wins that Blanchett looses, so it'll be quite interesting to see what happens.

My Pick-Amy Ryan
My Prediction-Cate Blanchett

Animated Feature Film

Persepolis
Ratatouille
Surf's Up


For once, the animated feature film award will be a bit of a competition, with two worthy films up for the Oscar. Surf's Up I disliked completely, and would have been more content in Bee Movie continued its streak. But both Persepolis, which I liked every since seeing it in Toronto, and Ratatouille, which was absolutely wonderful, both can walk away with the gold and I'd be happy.

My Pick-Ratatouille
My Prediction-Persepolis

Cinematography

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Atonement
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
No Country for Old Men

There Will Be Blood

These are the five choices I expected for this category, and I must say I cannot be happier. In fact, I would be satisfied with any of these winning the award.

My Pick-There Will Be Blood
My Prediction-Atonement (which is probably my least favorite of the five, so that will be called irony.

Best Director

Julian Schnabel-The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Jason Reitman-Juno
Tony Gilroy-Michael Clayton
Joel and Ethan Coen-No Country for Old Men
Paul Thomas Anderson-There Will Be Blood

Schnabel did a great job with "Diving Bell," and it was my favorite film of 2007, but I really found that the scope of Anderson's film, as well as some of the brillantly done set pieces makes me slightly root for him just a little bit more than Schanbel. The Coen Brothers have a great shot as well, and Gilroy isn't out of the race for his. The strong dark horse candidate seems to be Jason Reitman, who got a nomination over one of the favorites Joe Wright, for Atonement. Oddly enough, I liked Juno more than Atonement, but Wright's direction in the former film easily outdoes Reitman's. I did not see anything particiularly special about Reitman's work here, but Wright achieves some masterful shots, including a long field tracking shot, and it was just much more memorable.

My Pick-Paul Thomas Anderson, although I won't complain about Schnabel, The Coens, or Gilroy
My Prediction-Joel and Ethan Coen

Documentary Feature

No End in Sight
Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience
Sicko
Taxi to the Dark Side
War/Dance

I've only seen one of the nominees here-Sicko. All the others I could have seen, but omitted for some reason or the other. The only one that can be seen at the moment is Taxi to the Dark Side, which is now playing at the Angelika here in NY.

My Pick (by default)-Sicko
My Prediction-Sicko

Foreign Language Film

Beaufort
The Counterfeiters
Katyn
Mongol
12

I feel that the Oscars made a serious mistake with this years Foreign Language Films, to the point where I haven't even seen any of the nominees! Beaufort is currently play at the Quad Cinemas and the Lincoln Plaza Cinemas, but I just do not have any desire to go see it. I really do want to see The Counterfeiters, which I missed in Toronto. That film will be opening Fab. 22nd, so I hope it lasts a month so I can see it in March. The only one of the other three that I heard of is Mongol, which is getting a summer release. But looking at the Submissions list, I was surprised by how many good and great films were here that were not even on the shortlist annouced last week including Persepolis, Taxidermia, I Just Didn't Do It, Gone with the Woman, The Orphanage, You, the Living, and my fifth favorite film of the year, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days-the latter film getting a NY release this Friday.

My Prediction-The Counterfeiters

Makeup

La Vie En Rose
Norbit
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End


I would have put this at the bottom, but I can't get over how ridiculous these choices really are. I can see La Vie en Rose-classic biopic with changing makeup constantly, but the other two? Norbit? Remember that movie? It's the one that Eddie Murphy cursed and tried to cross off his memory after it being the reason why he lost in Oscar last year for Dreamgirls. And the makeup is downright awful in that, with one of the worst fat suits in recent memory. And the nomination for Pirates is somewhat silly as well. Where are the better movies? Sweeney Todd, No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Atonement, Jesse James. . .

My Pick-La Vie en Rose
My Prediction-La Vie en Rose

Music(Score)

Atonement
The Kite Runner
Michael Clayton
Ratatouille
3:10 to Yuma

With Jonny Greenwood's amazing score for There Will Be Blood being disqualified yesturday, I was wondering what would happen today. Scores for Atonement and The Kite Runner were a given, Michael Clayton was a welcome surprise (a score I really loved), and the other two were a surprise-and neither one of them can I really remember how they went. A few underlooks-David Robbins' beautiful, and innocent and lovely score for King of California, and Nick Cave and Warren Ellis' beautiful score to The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford-the only two soundtracks I bought this year besides the disqualified one.

My Pick-Michael Clayton
My Prediction-Atonement

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Atonement
Away from Her
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Once again, Atonement was a given. The final three nominees I am all happy go nominated, as they represent my first three movies of the year-and I love them all almost equally to the point where any of them could win and I'd be happy. The dark horse here is obviously Away from Her, a film I liked but not as much as many others. I would have given this spot to Aaron Sorkin's work in Charlie Wilson's War, which had a very smart and quick script, with several great moments in it.

My Pick-Diving Bell, No Country, or There Will Be Blood
My Prediction-Atonement

Writing (Original Screenplay)

Juno
Lars and the Real Girl
Michael Clayton

Ratatouille
The Savages


Five very good scripts here, but I somewhat feel that the script for Juno is getting too much hype. This is one of those examples where I think if we just read it on paper it might seem a little awkward- that is a film mainly about delivery, and how well the actors delivered such odd lines. Lars and the Real Girl getting a nod is a nice surprise, as is the script for The Savages and Ratatouille.

My Pick-Michael Clayton
My Prediction-Michael Clayton

Best Picture

Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Since The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is not nominated, than my vote goes to either There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, or Michael Clayton, in that order. The nod for Atonement is an obvious one, but I can't see it taking home the gold-even though it is an Oscar type-period piece, love story, British, etc. Juno is like a weaker Little Miss Sunshine, only this type I think Best Picture is just pushing it a little bit. I was crossing my fingers that Diving Bell would get the recognition, but I'm glad it got something over Sweeey Todd.

My Pick-There Will Be Blood
My Prediction-No Country for Old Men

Art Direction

American Gangster
Atonement
The Golden Compass
Sweeney Todd-The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
There Will Be Blood

My Pick-There Will Be Blood
My Prediction-Sweeney Todd

Costume Design

Across the Universe
Atonement
Elizabeth-The Golden Age
La Vie en Rose
Sweeney Todd-The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

My Pick-Sweeney Todd
My Prediction-Sweeney Todd

Film Editing

The Bourne Ultimatum
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Into the Wild
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

My Pick-The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
My Prediction-No Country for Old Men

Music (Song)

Falling Slowly-Once
Happy Working Song-Enchanted
???????-August Rush
So Close-Enchanted
That's How You Know-Enchanted

My Pick-Happy Working Song from Enchanted
My Prediction-Falling Slowly from Once

Sound Editing

The Bourne Ultimatum
No Country for Old Men

Ratatouille
There Will Be Blood
Transformers

My Pick-There Will Be Blood
My Prediction-No Country for Old Men

Sound Mixing

The Bourne Ultimatum
No Country for Old Men
Ratatouille
3:10 to Yuma
Transformers

My Pick-No Country for Old Men
My Prediction-No Country for Old Men

Visual Effects

The Golden Compass
Pirates of the Caribbean-At World' End
Transformers

My Pick-Transformers (more irony. . .)
My Prediction-Transformers

A note about the short films:
I have not seen any of the short films but will list the nominees anyway.

Documentary Short

Freeheld
La Corona (The Crown)
Salim Baba
Sari's Mother

Short Film (Animated)

I Met the Walrus
Madame Tutli-Putli
Meme Les Pigeons Vont Au Paradis (Even Pigeons Go to Heaven)
My Love
Peter and the Wolf

Short Film (Live Action)

At Night
Il Supplente (The Substitute)
The Mozart of Pickpockets
Tanghi Argentini
The Tonto Woman

The nominees for Short Film Live Action and Short Film Animated will all be shown at the IFC Center starting Febuary 15th, and as for the Short Subject Documentaries I really don't know how you can find them.

Good luck to all involved and all the nominees- and I have my fingers crossed for my favorites-and for once, some categories have multiple choices for me to be happy about.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

definitely like your brief mentions of jesse james, especially in the original score. although i'm glad it gets some recognition in cinematography and affleck, both deserving of them. and i think both linney and hoffman are well deserving for the savages, but i guess they both got nominations anyway. good commentary.

1/22/2008  
Blogger Bklynalicat said...

hey Eric hope all is good ...

3/07/2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home