Monday, January 28, 2008

New York Screenings Not To Be Missed

Hello readers.

I am no longer residing the Brooklyn as I have been for the last eighteen years, so of course this website will not be as current and up to date as it normally would have been. I will only be seeing a movie every now and then in the theatre, and when that happens it will probably be something very banal and trite-I have "Vantage Point" and "Semi-Pro" as two things I will probably see in the theatre-but on breaks and visits home I will be catching up with a few things. I will be taking a film class while being in school here, and so if I see anything interesting in those events, then I will gladly post here. The weekend of the 15th of next month I will be going home for a couple of days, and in that span I intend on catching the crime comedy "In Bruges," as well as the 2007 Academy Award Nominated Short Films, which will be playing at the IFC Center.

Looking at some websites, there are a few screenings in the NYC area that I wouldn't want you to miss.

Over at MOMA

Feb 7th-Lady Chatterley (2006) at 7pm
Feb 15-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) at 8pm
Feb 23-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) at 4:00pm

Feb 3-The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936) at 5pm
Feb 23-How Green Was My Valley (1941) at 2pm
Feb 24-How Green Was My Valley (1941) at 6:30pm

And over at the Walter Reade:

A few good films are going to be playing at the Walter Reade in the middle of February for a couple of weeks that I saw at the Toronto Film Festival. I can recommend three of them-none of them anything remarkable, but your dollar won't be wasted seeing them.

The first is a special sneak showing of George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead, which is playing Feb. 14th at 10:30pm. Be warned, though, that the very next day the movie will be opening in select theatres all over Manhattan, so you probably do not need to spend the extra few dollars on the ticket unless you really want to.

The second is Import/Export, a bizarre and sometimes sexually explicit comedy/drama that I found rather interesting and even sometimes riveting. Granted it was several months since I saw it, and I've seen tons of films in between, but I did find it rather interesting to watch. That is playing Feb 17th at 1:30pm, and Feb 20th at 8:15pm.

And the third is the Russian epic The Banishment, which plays like an epic Russian novel. The film is playing Feb 18th at 6pm, Feb 20th at 3pm, and Feb. 25th at 2pm.

If I had the chance to see any one of those again, it would be a toss between the last two. Import/Export had lots of visual gags and strong silent moments to tell the story, while The Banishment has some more dimensional characters that certainly warrents several more viewings. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home